Interested in medals to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment? Well, you're in the right place. Contact me at info@tommysmedals.co.uk if you have any information requests and I will try and help. If you have medals to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment that you would like to sell then I offer top prices and no dealer or auction house commission!

Sunday 18 December 2011

5296 Sergeant George Garlick

Another medal that I am searching for is a single British War Medal to Sergeant George Garlick of the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

His entitlement, originally a 1914 star and bar trio, was clearly together as a set of three medals for some time, however early in 2011 an auction house sold his British War Medal as part of a 'lot' of mixed odd medals to various regiments. Two months later the same auction house sold the 1914 star and bar and victory medal within another mixed lot. I had noted the three medals, and seeing the 1914 star (minus the bar by this time) decided to purchase it with the aim of re-uniting the three medals. A month or so later I saw the victory medal listed and bought that.

Since then I've searched for the BWM without any success. However I have a lead! I saw within the mixed lot that was sold at the auction was to an unusually named New Zealander and by searching the internet found that it had sold on Ebay. I contacted the seller, they didn't have the BWM but had purchased the medal at the Aldershot Medal Fare. Now, Aldershot is too far for me to travel but if anyone is down there and spots the medal then I'm prepared to pay above market rate to re-unite the group.

I'm also looking for his silver war badge: B90343

Garlick had a very colourful career, joining in 1897 and by virtue of always being in the 3rd or 4th Bn missing the Sudan campaign, the Boer War, service in India in 1908 before being reduced from Sergeant to Private in 1912 and transferred to the 1st Bn in 1914, right in time to leave with the rest of the Battalion in August 1914 and being present at the Warwicks first engagement of the war at Le Cateau. Garlick served throughout the war, finally being discharged in 1919 after being wounded twice (GSW is each arm).

A great career and I'd really love to get his group back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment