Interested in medals to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment? Well, you're in the right place. Contact me at info@tommysmedals.co.uk if you have any information requests and I will try and help. If you have medals to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment that you would like to sell then I offer top prices and no dealer or auction house commission!

Wednesday 5 January 2011

The Worrall brothers

There is a group of medals within my collection that stir mixed emotions, two groups of medals to brothers, one who was to return home and one who didn't.

The Worrall family lived in Ladywood, Birmingham before the war. Arthur and Henry were territorials in the 5th battalion Royal Warwickshire enlisting (almost certainly) at the same time on July 5th 1912 as service numbers 1730 and 1731. At the outbreak of the First World War the 5th were mobilised, the brothers arriving in France in March 1915.

In April 1917 Henry transferred to the 1/8 Bn Warwickshire Regiment and unfortunately he died of wounds received in action in October 1917, his service records noting that he was wounded dangerously in the right arm.

I have Henry's medals in my posession along with his plaque, as you can see from the image below the medals and plaque were framed by (I believe) Arthur and are in excellent condition:


With Henry's medals are Arthur's (they came together which is why I suspect Arthur framed his brothers). Arthur survived the war and also won a territorial efficiency medal. 

Arthurs medals can be seen below:


With the medals I have a great deal of information including all of Henry's service history, a copy of a letter dated 1920 from Arthur to the war office asking for Henry's personal belongings (which had been sent to their mother by this time) and a subsequent list of Henry's belongings, which makes poignant reading:

2 discs
1 letter and photo
2 pipes
1 silver watch and keystrap
2 tobacco pouches
1 cap badge
1 wrist identity tag

I have also got a photograph of Henry's headstone, he is buried at the Etaples military cemetary in France, however I don't have any images of either Henry or Arthur, so if any descendants of Arthur are out there (Arthur married and had children, Henry never married) and you are able to provide any more information then I would be grateful to hear from you.

But until then, Henry is not forgotten and each year I lay a poppy in his memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment